City of Chanhassen ElectionsElection for Chanhassen City Council is held during state and federal election years. The city council consists of five members; the mayor and four council members, who are elected for staggered 4-year terms.
Filing for City Council Seats
The terms of Council members Jerry McDonald and Bethany Tjornhom will expire at the end of 2020. Filings for these two positions will be accepted at city hall from Tuesday, July 28, 2020 through Tuesday, August 11, 2020.
To file, candidates must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- A registered voter
- A resident of the city for at least 30 days prior to the General Election
- At least 21 years of age
- Pay a $5 filing fee
- Complete an Affidavit of Candidacy
Campaign Financial Reports
- Subsequent reports are due 10 days before and 30 days after the election and each year by January 31 until a final report is filed.
- A final report is due when all debts are settled and all assets are disposed of in excess of $100.
- A certificate of filing shall be submitted t the city clerk no later than seven days after the general or special election (MN Stat. 211A.05, Subd. 1)
Other Candidate Information
State and Federal Offices
The filing period for United States Senator, United States Representative, State Senator, State Representative, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, Judge of the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Judge of District Court begins at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, May 19 and ends at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, June 2, 2020. Filing for federal offices - Office of the Secretary of State, State Office Building, Room 180, 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, St. Paul, MN. The place for filing for state offices is with the Office of the Secretary of State or with the Carver County Auditor’s Office, 600 E 4th Street, Chaska, MN.
The State Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, August 11, 2020 and the General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. The polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The city's municipal election is held in conjunction with the General Election.